Connect with us


Jack remains alive, Provo eliminated in NCAA Division I tournament

Danbury native Ryan Jack (141) lost in the second round Thursday night but will wrestle Friday in the consolation round of the NCAA Division I wrestling tournament in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

As it always is, the wrestling was tough in Thursday’s NCAA Division I wrestling tournament in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

“I think anybody can be beaten at this tournament,” Oregon State head coach Chris Pendleton said. “We tell our guys all the time, when you’re a little kid, you don’t envision yourself beating the No. 76 team in the country. You’re beating the Penn States, Oklahoma States, Iowas. Those are the people you are chasing after. And you’ve got to take them off that pedestal and go scrap.”

And those seedings? Take them with a grain of salt.

Purdue’s Parker Filius, the No. 12 seed at 141 pounds, got a takedown with 33 seconds left in regulation to erase a four-point deficit and beat No. 5 Ryan Jack of North Carolina State in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Jack, who grew up in Danbury, is wrestling in his second NCAA championship tournament. The only other Connecticut native in the tournament was Stratford’s Nico Provo, the freshman from Stanford at 125 pounds.

Provo dropped a 3-2 decision in the first round before getting eliminated in the first round of the consolation round by Rutgers’ Dean Peterson, 4-1.

Jack (21-4) is still alive in the tournament and will No. 22 Malyke Hines of Lehigh (19-13) wrestle in the second round of the consolation bracket on Friday morning.

He won his tournament opener with a 3-2 win over No. 28 Saul Ervin of SIU-Edwardsville. Jack got a first period takedown to take a 2-0 lead and extended his lead to 3-1 with an escape midway with 1:31 left in the second period. Ervin escaped to the cut the lead to one early in the third period but Jack was able to hold off Ervin to advance.

In his second round match against Filius (23-9), Jack was able to fight off several takedown attempts. Jack took a 2-0 lead with a second period takedown before Filius, the only wrestler in the tournament from Montana, cut the lead to 2-1 with an escape.

In the second period, Jack got an escape to take a 3-1 lead. After he was warned for stalling with 18 seconds left, Jack quickly got his second takedown for a 5-1 lead after two periods.

Filius escaped with 1:52 left to cut the lead to three and got a takedown with 1:26 left to cut the lead to one, 5-4. Jack escaped with a minute to go to take a 6-5 lead but Filius swooped in with 33 seconds left for the match-winning takedown and a new single season career-high 23rd win.

Provo (21-11) and Purdue’s Matt Ramos, the No. 4 seed, were tied at 2-2 after two period but Ramos (32-4) got an escape with 1:53 left in the third period to get the win. Ramos, who came in the tournament with the most wins of any wrestler at 125, native executed a slick duck under into a double for a takedown that put him in command of the match early.

Provo tied the match with escapes in the first period and second period.

Provo and Peterson were tied at 0-0 after two periods but Peterson (22-10) got an early escape to take a 1-0 lead and got a takedown to increase his lead to 3-0. Peterson rode Provo and didn’t allow him much room to move.

Gerry deSimas, Jr., is the editor and founder of Connecticut Wrestling Online. He is an award-winning writer and has been covering sports in Connecticut and New England for more than 40 years. He was inducted into the New England High School Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2018.

More in College