GORHAM, Maine, Dec. 7 – Five Coast Guard wrestlers won individual championships and 16 Bear wrestlers placed in the top six of their respective weight classes as No. 14 Coast Guard won the Ted Reese Invitational at Southern Maine Saturday for the third straight year.
Coast Guard, who had nine wrestlers in the finals and four wrestlers finish second, won the tournament with 186 points to beat Castleton (149½) and host Southern Maine (109½).
Freshman Noah Caskey, the former Montville High star, won at 141 pounds along with Coast Guard teammates Nick Moreno (165, Reistertown, MD), Paul Detwiler (184, Fleming Island, Fla.), Jeremy Berson (194, Tucson, AZ) and Patrick Irwin (285, El Dorardo, CA).
Caskey won his first two matches via pin before a 12-2 major decision and 18-3 technical fall win earned him a spot in the final where he won his first collegiate championship as teammate Caden Mareno medically forfeited to place second.
AJ Pagliarulo (149) placed third as he won his first two matches with a pin and won by decision before falling into the consolation bracket where he won the third place match 8-3.
Matt McGowan (157) placed second falling in the championship match 16-5. He won four matches, two by pin and two by decision to earn a spot in the championship match.
Moreno (165) won the championship beating teammate Phil Rogers on a medical forfeit for the championship. Moreno pinned all four of his opponents to earn a spot in the championship match while Rogers had a pin and three tech fall wins.
AJ Aeberli, ranked third nationally at 174 pounds, placed third winning the third place match 16-0 after losing a 3-1 decision in the semifinals.
Detwiler, ranked ninth nationally, won at 184 pounds with a 13-4 major decision win in the championship match. He pinned all three opponents earlier in the tournament.
Berson won the 197 pound championship beating teammate Jon Wagner, ranked sixth nationally, by medical forfeit in the championship match. Berson won three matches, one by decision, one by tech. fall and another via pin while Wagner won a decision, a major decision and a pin for a spot in the final.
Irwin, ranked fourth nationally, won the heavyweight championship with a 9-2 decision in the final. He won four matches, two by fall and two by major decision to earn a spot in the final.
The Bears are back in action on Wednesday night in the first dual meet of the season when the Bears host Johnson & Wales, the top ranked team in New England and No. 5 team in the nation at 7 p.m.
2019 Ted Reese Invitational
At Gorham, Maine
Team results – 1. Coast Guard 186, 2. Castleton 149½, 3. Southern Maine 109½, 4. Wesleyan 86½, 5. Johnson and Wales 78, 6. AIC 72, 7. Roger Williams 61½, 8. Springfield Tech Community College 25½, 9. Plymouth State 22½, 10. UConn 20, 11. MIT 18½, 12. Maine Maritime Academy 17½, 13. Bath Iron Works Apprentice 15, 14. New Hampshire 7, Maine 5½
Final: Peter Del Gallo (Southern Maine) dec. Joey Valentino (Castleton), 3-0
3. Gabriel Leo-Esparolini (Johnson & Wales) dec. Frankie Darwak (Castleton), 7-2
5. Leo Amabile (Southern Maine) dec. Brock Laggini (Coast Guard), 11-4
Final: Tristan Stetson (Wesleyan) dec. Victor Perlleshi (Johnson & Wales), 3-1 OT
3. Nick Camacho (Castleton) dec. Peter Tringali (Roger Williams University), 5-3
5. Liam Logue (Coast Guard) dec. Tyler Craig (Bath Iron Works Apprentice), 7-5
Final: Noah Caskey (Coast Guard) medical forfeit Caden Mareno (Coast Guard)
3. Cqari Bacote (Castleton) dec. Travis Brown (Castleton), 13-5
5. Ryan Luchs (Roger Williams University) dec. Dylan Jones (Wesleyan), 4-0
Final: Max Tempel (Castleton) medical forfeit over Joel Morth (AIC)
3. A.j. Pagliarulo (Coast Guard) dec. Jared Garcia (Southern Maine), 8-3
5. Serge Bouyssou (Johnson & Wales) dec. Jeremy Sendrowski (Southern Maine), 18-9
Final: Baltazar Gonzalez (AIC) dec. Matt McGowan (Coast Guard), 16-5
3. Aaron Goldman (Wesleyan) dec. Kyle Althenn (Johnson & Wales), 8-6
5. Jacob Adams (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) NC David Kurker (Southern Maine)
Final: Nick Moreno (Coast Guard) medical forfeit Phillip Rogers (Coast Guard)
3. Michael Angers (Castleton) dec. Frank Fea (Castleton), 7-4
5. Reece Millington (Castleton) pin Zac Thompson (Southern Maine), 2:01
Final: Marco Gaita (Wesleyan) dec. Chance Lapier (Castleton), 5-2
3. A.j. Aeberli (Coast Guard) tech fall Joseph Gannone (Johnson And Wales), 16-0 4:18
5. Ryan Fredette (Southern Maine) dec. Raul Gierbolini (Southern Maine), 4-3
Final: Paul Detwiler (Coast Guard) dec. Jason Hoffman (Castleton), 13-4
3. Josh Smith (Southern Maine) dec. Eli Wilson (Roger Williams University), 13-3
5. Duncan Kreutter (Wesleyan) pin Teigan Lindstedt (Maine Maritime Academy), 2:05
Final: Jeremy Berson (Coast Guard) medical forfeit Jon Wagner (Coast Guard)
3. Mitch Laflam (Castleton) pin Kayne Robert (Coast Guard), 4:16
5. George McBurney (Coast Guard) dec. Noah Giffard (Plymouth State), 5-0
Final: Patrick Irwin (Coast Guard) pin Raul Martinez (AIC), 4:35
3. Jake Peavey (Southern Maine) pin Shea Garand (Castleton), 2:46
5. Thomas Sidener (Coast Guard) dec. Lucas Morse (Castleton), 6-4