SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Nov. 23 – No. 12 Coast Guard had 11 placewinners to easily win the Doug Parker Invitational Saturday at Springfield College in the season-opening event for the Bears. Coast Guard easily outlasted New England College, 141½ to 102.
The Bears had four individual champions. Coast Guard’s Nick Moreno (165) was the sixth seed but with four pins and a major decision, he his weight class by pinning AIC’s Ahmad Sharif in 1:38. Top seed Paul Detwiler (184) won his weight class with a 13-8 win over Edwin Moroales from Bridgewater State.
At 197, Jeremy Benson beat Bridgewater State’s Henry Oberlander, 5-4 to win a championship. Coast Guard’s Patrick Irwin had five pins to win a championship at 285 pounds.
Coast Guard had a four wrestlers place fourth A.J. Pagliarulo (149), Phil Rogers (165) and Jessup Pawelczyk (197), all three medically forfeited the consolation final matches while JD Fitzpatrick (141) lost 12-5 in the consolation final.
Kayne Robert placed fifth at 197 pounds with a 2-0 decision over Noah Griffin from Plymouth State.
A pair of freshmen had solid collegiate debuts as Montville’s Noah Caskey and Caden Mareno met in the fifth place match with Mareno winning a 17-6 major decision. Mareno was 6-1 on the day with a pin while Caskey picked up four wins including a pair of pins and two major decisions in the tournament.
The Bears are back in action on Dec. 7. at the Ted Reese Invitational.
Coast Guard won the tournament with 141.5 points followed by New England College (102) and Western New England (91). Rounding out the top-five were Southern Maine (90.5) and Wesleyan (87).
Wesleyan’s Marco Gaita (174) finished third for the Cardinals, going 3-1 in the tournament. Aaron Goldman (157) went 5-1 but finished tied for fifth place because he couldn’t wrestle more than six times in a single day.
Roy Forys (165, 5-1) had five victories and four pins to finish fifth and earn the tournament Most Falls Award. Amir Daouk (125) went 3-2 to finish fourth while Tristan Stetson (133) was 4-2 and took sixth. Duncan Kruetter (184) went 4-2 and finished sixth.
Springfield College’s Chris Trelli beat teammate and top-seeded Gianni Manginelli, 6-2 to win a championship. Manginelli beat teammate Chase Parrot (Stamford) in the semifinals, 5-3. Parrot finished fourth at 133.
Robert Hartling (125, Storrs) was sixth at 125 for the Pride, who will compete again in Pennsylvania on December 6-7 at the Petrofes Invitational.
Doug Parker Invitational
At Springfield, Mass.
Team results – 1. Coast Guard 141½, 2. New England College 102, 3. Western New England 91, 4. Southern Maine 90½, 5. Wesleyan 87, 6. Springfield College 87½, 7. Centenary 84, 8. Bridgewater 76, 9. Williams 72½, 10. Rhode Island College 67½, 11. Trinity 54½, 12. AIC 34, 13. Springfield Tech 16, 14. John Hopkins and Plymouth State 15½
Final: Peter Del Gallo (Southern Maine) dec. Diego Santiago Henniker, NH (New England College), 3-1
3. Dylan Luciano (Centenary) dec. Amir Daouk (Wesleyan), 7-6
5. David Yeh (Williams) dec. Robert Hartling (Springfield College), 9-3
Final: Christopher Trelli (Springfield College) dec. Gianni Manginelli (Springfield College), 6-2
3. Jacques St. Jean (Springfield College) dec. Chase Parrott (Springfield College)
5. Nick Arborio Springfield, MA (Western New England) pin Tristan Stetson (Wesleyan), 1:34
Final: Joseph Rossetti (Williams) pin Najee Hall Uniondale, NY (New England College), 1:27
3. Cameron Bruffy (Centenary) dec. J.D. Fitzpatrick (Coast Guard), 12-5
5. Caden Mareno (Coast Guard) dec. Noah Caskey (Coast Guard), 17-6
Final: Ryan Anderson (Centenary) dec. Evan Fidelibus Henniker, NH (New England College), 7-4
3. Mike Vietri (Springfield College) forfeit over A.J. Pagliarulo (Coast Guard)
5. Michael Foca (Centenary) NC Alex Starr Springfield, MA (Western New England)
Final: Ryan Monteiro Springfield, MA (Western New England) dec. Kevin Lyskawa (Trinity), 9-3
3. Yo Akiyama (Williams) forfeit over Samuel Lindblom Waterford, CT (Rhode Island College)
5. Hayden Keleher Henniker, NH (New England College) NC Aaron Goldman (Wesleyan)
Final: Nick Moreno (Coast Guard) pin Ahmad Sharif Springfield, MA (American International), 1:38
3. Juan Vernaza (Southern Maine) forfeit over Phillip Rogers (Coast Guard)
5. Roy Forys (Wesleyan) pin Fox Maxwell Bridgewater, MA (Bridgewater), 1:22
Final: Malik Settles Henniker, NH (New England College) dec. Ryan Fredette (Southern Maine), 7-5 3:13
3. Marco Gaita (Wesleyan) dec. Nick Almonte (Springfield College), 21-11
5. Davey Goodall Springfield, MA (Western New England) dec. Jett Tancsik Centereach, NY (Rhode Island College), 5-1
Final: Paul Detwiler (Coast Guard) dec. Edwin Morales (Bridgewater), 13-8
3. Kenny Long (Centenary) dec. Josh Smith (Southern Maine), 5-4
5. Daniel Sblendorio Mountainside, NJ (Rhode Island College) dec. Duncan Kreutter (Wesleyan), 5-1
Final: Jeremy Berson (Coast Guard) dec. Henry Oberlander (Bridgewater), 5-4
3. Sol Demers (Southern Maine) forfeit over Jessup Pawelczyk (Coast Guard)
5. Kayne Robert Waterford, CT (Coast Guard) dec. Noah Giffard Plymouth, NH (Plymouth), 2-0
Final: Patrick Irwin (Coast Guard) pin Ryan Higgins Bridgewater, MA (Bridgewater), 6:39
3. Travis Manick Methuen, MA (Rhode Island College) pin Tyson Jones (Springfield College), 0:33
5. John O’brien (Trinity) pin Romelo Medina Springfield, MA (Western New England), 1:48