TRUMBULL, February 16 – No. 1 Danbury is bringing a big team to next week’s State Open championships.
The Hatters had 11 wrestlers earn medals by finishing in the top six of their respective weight classes as Danbury rolled to their fourth straight Class LL championship with a 250-210½ victory over No. 3 Trumbull. The top six wrestlers in each weight qualify to participate in the State Open.
“It was a great team effort from top to bottom,” Danbury High coach Ricky Shook said. “Everyone scored points.”
No. 5 Southington and No. 5 Fairfield Warde each had two individual champions and finished third and fourth, respectively.
Danbury had three individual champions, led by junior Ryan Jack (126) and senior Kyle Fields (132) who each won their third straight Class LL championship. Jack (32-0) beat Ridgefield’s Ben Smart by technical fall, 23-8 to win a title and was named the Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament.
Fields beat Westhill’s Chase Parrot in the finals, 4-2 with a reversal with 1:58 left in the second period. Tyler Johnson (120) also won for the Hatters, winning a title with a 4-3 win over Norwalk’s Sam White due to an escape with 1:01 remaining.
Trumbull’s Michael and Travis Longo became the 16th pair of brothers in state history to win a state championship on the same day. Michael Longo’s takedown with 20 seconds left gave him a 2-1 victory over Danbury’s Kai O’Dell in the final at 106.
At 113 pounds, top-seeded Travis Longo scored six points in the final 1:13 in a 6-1 victory over Drew Carrier of Hall to win a Class LL title.
Trumbull’s Matt Ryan (138) was seeking to win his third consecutive state championship but he was beaten in the finals by top-seeded Manchester’s Shamar Schand, 5-2. Schand (31-0) led by one, 3-2 before getting a takedown with 23 seconds remaining to secure the victory.
Southington had a pair of state champions. Jacob Cardozo (145) beat Fairfield Warde’s Cole Shaughnessy, 3-2 to win a championship while teammate Billy Carr (170), the third seed, beat Amity’s Andrew Seaton, 5-4. A takedown with 17 seconds left gave Carr a 5-2 lead and some breathing room.
Top-seeded Noah Zuckerman of Fairfield Warde beat Westhill’s Tommy Mazur, 3-1 to win the championship at 152 pounds while teammate Joe Gjinaj (195) was forced to overtime before he could beat Danbury’s Montez Osbey, 3-1. Gjinaj got a takedown with 35 seconds left in OT to earn the win.
Staples’ George Harrington (220) beat Hall’s Hugh Wells, 7-3 to win his second straight Class LL title. A year ago, Harrington won at 285 pounds.
— GameTimeCT (@GameTimeCT) February 17, 2019
2019 CIAC Class LL championships
Team results – 1. Danbury 250, 2. Trumbull 210½, 3. Southington 175, 4. Fairfield Warde 150½, 5. Staples 108, 6. NFA 100, 7. New Britain 97, 8. Glastonbury 96½,9. Ridgefield 88, 10. Greenwich 86, 11. Westhill 79½, 12. East Hartford and Newtown 71½, 14. Manchester 71, 15. Brien McMahon 70, 16. Amity and Hall 59, 18. Norwalk 58½, 19. Enfield 52, 20. Shelton 51, 21. New Haven 44, 21. Fairfield Prep 34, 23. Conard 26, 24. Stamford 12, 25. West Haven 9, 26. Bridgeport Central 4
Final: Michael Longo (Trumbull) dec. Kai O’Dell (Danbury), 2-1
3. Nick Urso (Conard) dec. Nathan Blaha (Ridgefield), 2-0
5. Cody Giaccone (Glastonbury) dec. Isahus Maldonado (New Britain), 6-2
Final: Travis Longo (Trumbull) dec. Drew Currier (Hall), 6-1
3. Martial Sutton (Glastonbury) dec. Ben Gorr (Southington), 10-0
5. Liam Knight (Danbury) pin Xavier Quiles (East Hartford), 0:33
Final: Tyler Johnson (Danbury) dec. Sam White (Norwalk), 4-3
3. Parker Sutton (Glastonbury) dec. Jack Ryan (Trumbull), 7-2
5. Terry Brannigan (Staples) pin Connor Devega (Norwich Free Academy), 3:14
Final: Ryan Jack (Danbury) tech fall Ben Smart (Ridgefield), 23-8, 5:11
3. Will Ebert (Fairfield Warde) pin Jonathan Kosak (Trumbull), 2:28
5. Diajhawn Hudson (East Hartford) pin Sean Messina (Enfield), 4:45
Final: Kyle Fields (Danbury) dec. Chase Parrot (Westhill), 4-2
3. Nik Accousti (Newtown) dec. Dominic Renfree (Norwich Free Academy), 3-0
5. David Castaldo (Trumbull) pin Derek Vincelette (Glastonbury), 0:58
Final: Shamar Schand (Manchester) dec. Matt Ryan (Trumbull), 5-2
3. Jason Brault (Southington) pin Emanuel Lai (Greenwich), 1:47
5. Brandon Nieto (Norwich Free Academy) dec. Logan Kovacs (Danbury), 11-9, OT
Final: Jacob Cardozo (Southington) dec. Cole Shaughnessy (Fairfield Warde), 3-2
3. Ben Leblanc (Danbury) pin Timothy Roberts (East Hartford), 2:52
5. Raul Mateo (Manchester) dec. George Bomann (Trumbull), 13-4
Final: Noah Zuckerman (Fairfield Warde) dec. Tommy Mazur (Westhill), 3-1
3. Theran Vanase (Norwich Free Academy) pin Nickolas Richardson (New Britain), 1:40
5. William Holmes (Trumbull) dec. Connor Brown (Ridgefield), 12-2
Final: Lazar Agoev (Ridgefield) dec. Dean Tsiranides (Fairfield Prep), 7-6
3. Josh Vitti (Southington) dec. Tyrell Jones (Danbury), 7-2
5. Chino Grant (New Haven) dec. Steven Leuci (Newtown), 9-2
Final: Billy Carr (Southington) dec. Andrew Seaton (Amity Regional), 5-4
3. Hunter Rasmussen (Fairfield Warde) dec. Eric Plainbull (Norwich Free Academy), 9-2
5. Jacob Qiu (Staples) dec. Jason Mercado (Trumbull), 9-6
Final: Andrew Nanai (Greenwich) dec. Joseph Palmieri (Trumbull), 6-4, OT
3. Malik Goethe (Brien McMahon) dec. Matt Jacobson (Southington), 4-2
5. Izaiah Medina New (New Britain) pin Simon Flaherty (Amity Regional), 1:34
Final: Joe Gjinaj (Fairfield Warde) dec. Montez Osbey (Danbury), 3-1, OT
3. Jackson Blanchard (Greenwich) dec. Caleb Chesanow (Southington), 4-3
5. David Lamb (Norwalk) dec. Conner Barton (Brien McMahon), 5-0
Final: George Harrington (Staples) dec. Hugh Wells (Hall), 7-3
3. Jeff Cocchia (Brien McMahon) dec. Ray Weiner (Shelton), 7-6
5. DJ Donovan (Danbury) pin Jacob Vecchio (Southington), 2:00
Final: Joe Zeller (Newtown) pin Jordan Agosto (Danbury), 2:57
3. Matt Weiner (Shelton) forfeit over Jaylin Houston (New Haven)
5. Juliano Morales (New Britain) injury default over Jacob Rizy (Staples)
Outstanding wrestler: Ryan Jack, Danbury (126)
Brackets on Flo