BETHLEHEM, Pa., February 23, 2019 – Four Connecticut wrestlers earned All-American honors at the 84th annual National Prep School Championships at Lehigh University Saturday.
Pomfret’s Cole McGill earned All-American honors by finishing at 145 pounds while Brunswick School-Greenwich’s Chris Perry (126) and Luca Errico (138) each finishing fifth in their respective weight classes. Greens Farms Academy’s Nico Provo, who is from Stratford, finished fifth at 113 pounds. Perry earned All-American honors for the second straight year.
Greens Farms Academy-Westport was the top Connecticut school in 15th place with 41½ points followed by Brunswick (21) and Pomfret (27). Blair Academy from Blairstown, N.J., won its fifth-straight team title with 354 points, collecting nine of 14 individual crowns. Blair has won 16 out of the last 17 Prep Nationals.
Brunswick head coach Tim Ostrye was honored before the finals at Stabler Arena as the National Prep School Coach of the Year after voting from the National Prep School Wrestling Board.
A week earlier, Ostrye was tabbed by the NEPSAC coaches as the Coach of the Year. This year the Bruins posted an 18-1 record, won both the FAA (Fairchester Athletic Association) and WNEISWA tournaments, and finished fifth at the NEPSAC tournament. This is Ostrye’s 33rd season with the Bruins.
All four Connecticut All-Americans lost in the quarterfinals of the championship round.
McGill dropped a 2-1 decision in double overtime to eventual champion Connor Kievman of Wyoming Seminary-Kingston, Pa., in the quarterfinals. But McGill rallied with four consecutive victories in the consolation bracket including a 9-6 win over Andrew Pace of Baylor School-Chattanooga, Tenn., to finish third.
Late takedowns helped McGill win two close consolation bracket wins. In his first consolation round contest against Max Hammond of St. Paul School for Boys in Baltimore, McGill got a takedown with 1:37 remaining that was the difference in a 5-3 victory.
In the consolation semifinal, McGill got a takedown with 1:24 left that was the difference in a 7-6 win over Caden Rodgers of Malvern (Pa.) Prep.
Perry, the No. 8 seed at 126, won his first two matches before getting pinned by eventual national champion Michael Colaiocco of Blair Academy. Perry won three of his next four matches to finish fifth including a 4-2 win over OT over Nathan Porter of Mount Saint Joseph-Baltimore in the fifth place bout.
Perry went 5-2 in the tournament and finished the year with a 42-4 record.
Errico (48-2) earned All-American honors for the first time and became the seventh Brunswick wrestler in team history to earn All-American honors. He joins his brother Jon Errico, who was a two-time All-American wrestler for the Bruins.
Luca Errico won his first two matches to extend his undefeated streak to 46 straight bouts before dropping a 10-7 decision to Connor Alexander of St. Christopher in overtime in the quarterfinals. Alexander went on to finish second.
Errico won two of his final three bouts including a 6-5 win over Garrett Bowers of Christian Brothers-Memphis, Tenn., to finish fifth.
Provo dropped a 4-2 decision to Cooper Flynn in double OT in the quarterfinals. In the consolation bracket, Provo won two of three matches to earn All-American honors and finish fifth. Provo beat Luke Kowalski of St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C., to finish fifth. Provo finished 5-2 with three pins in the tournament.
Prep School national tournament
At Lehigh, Pa.
Team results (top 10) – 1. Blair Academy 354, 2. Wyoming Seminary 325, 3. Mount Saint Joseph 169, 4. Malvern Prep 132½, 5. Baylor School 127, 6. St. Christopher School 123½, 7. McDonough School 96½. 8. McCallie School 87, 9. Archbishop Spalding 85, 10. St. John’s College HS 79½
Other Connecticut teams: 15. Greens Farms Academy 41½, 21. Brunswick School-Greenwich 37, 27. Pomfret 30, 40. Suffield Academy 16½, 62. Avon Old Farms and Hotchkiss 8, 72. Loomis Chaffee 5, 74. Choate Rosemary Hall 4
Final: Danny Wask Blairstown, NJ (Blair Academy) dec. Erik Roggie (St. Christopher’s School), 5-3 OT
3. Nick Fea (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Nasir Wilkinson (Saint Paul`s School For Boys), 3-0
5. Joseph Couch Pasadena, MD (Mount Saint Joseph) dec. Jackson Bond (Baylor School), 1-0, 3 OT
7. Brady Pruett (Archbishop Spalding) pin James Harrington (Belmont Hill), 1:31
Final: Ryan Miller (Blair Academy) pin Dayton Delviscio (Malvern Prep), 1:41
3. Cooper Flynn (Mcdonogh School) dec. Troy Spratley (Wyoming Seminary), 3-1
5. Nico Provo (Green Farms Academy) dec. Luke Kowalski (St. Johns College Hs), 5-2
7. Will Guida (Saint Paul`s School For Boys) dec. Kelvin Griffin (Brooks School), 2-0
Final: Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Blair Academy) dec. Lachlan Mcneil (Wyoming Seminary), 5-2
3. Chris Barnabae (Mount Saint Joseph) dec. Chris Kim (Germantown Academy), 3-0
5. Emory Taylor (McCallie School) pin Shawn Strand (Loyola-blakefield), 4:10
7. Caleb Campos (Cannon School) pin Aiden Bowers (Christian Brothers), 4:52
Final: Michael Colaiocco Sparta Township, NJ (Blair Academy) dec. Skylar Smith (Liberty Christian School-tx), 14-6
3. Drew Munch (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Noah Horst (Baylor School), 7-3
5. Chris Perry (Brunswick School) dec. Nathan Porter (Mount Saint Joseph), 4-2 OT
7. Dove Bonjean alpart (Poly Prep) dec. Noah Burstein (Northfield Mount Hermon School), 7-0
Final: Beau Bartlett (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Shayne Vanness Blairstown, NJ (Blair Academy), 20-13
3. Garrison Dendy (Baylor School) pin Ray Kable (Mcdonogh School), 2:52
5. Joe Fisk (Archbishop Spalding) dec. Mason Dubois (St. Christopher’s School), 4-3
7. Jose Zamora (Kennedale Fellowship Academy) dec. Jack Wehmeyer (Malvern Prep), 8-3
Final: Travis Mastrogiovanni (Blair Academy) MD Connor Alexander (St. Christopher’s School), 10-2
3. Jonathan Miers (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Dalton Harkins (Malvern Prep), 3-1
5. Luca Errico (Brunswick School) dec. Garrett Bowers (Christian Brothers), 6-5
7. Josh Yost (Benedictine College Preparatory) MD Rick Couch (Archbishop Spalding), 11-1
Final: Connor Kievman (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Manzona Bryant iv (Western Reserve Academy), 4-2
3. Cole McGill (Pomfret School) dec. Andrew Pace (Baylor School), 9-6
5. Connor Strong (Mount Saint Joseph) dec. Caden Rogers (Malvern Prep), 3-0
7. Braeden Baller (Liberty Christian School TX) forfeit over Alex Jacobs (St.Thomas Catholic), 0-0
Final: Nick Incontera Blairstown, NJ (Blair Academy) dec. David Berkovich (Poly Prep), 3-1
3. Garrett Fisk (Archbishop Spalding) dec. Alex Whitworth Chattanooga, TN (McCallie School), 4-2 OT
5. Benny Baker (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Hunter Balk (Trinity Christian Academy), 3-1
7. Andrew Connolly Malvern, PA (Malvern Prep) pin Zane Cox (Benedictine College Preparatory), 4:30
Final: Domonic Mata Poway, CA (Blair Academy) dec. Jake Stefanowicz (Wyoming Seminary), 6-0
3. Thomas Stewart (St. Johns College HS) forfeit over Aiden Hanning (Northfield Mount Hermon School)
5. Nicholas Feldman (Malvern Prep) dec. Zach Phillips (Mount Saint Joseph), 5-0
7. Dylan Blau (Saint Paul`s School For Boys) dec. Gavin Cagle (Christian Academy Of Knoxville), 3-0
Final: Julian Ramirez (Blair Academy) dec. Mason Reiniche (Baylor School), 5-3
3. Luca Pontone (Belmont Hill) forfeit over Cole Rees (Wyoming Seminary), 0-0
5. Dominic Solis (Mcdonogh School) MD Avery Miller (Good Counsel), 10-2
7. Rex Collins (Mckinney Christian Academy) dec. Jonathan Short (Mount Saint Joseph), 8-2
Final: Jackson Turley (St. Christopher’s School) dec. Peyton Craft (Blair Academy), 8-4
3. Darrien Roberts (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Justin Henry (Mount Saint Joseph), 8-2
5. Thomas Sell (McCallie School) dec. Connor Duffy (Baylor School), 7-0 3:25
7. Tabor Wanag (Phillips Exeter Academy) dec. Harrison Shapiro (Belmont Hill), 3-2
Final: Austin Cooley (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Jack Parr (Saint Paul`s School For Boys), 3-0
3. Rylan Rogers (Blair Academy) dec. Nicholas Florschutz (Malvern Prep), 7-2
5. Ethan Stern (Mount Saint Joseph) dec. Dustin Radford (Archbishop Spalding), 6-2
7. David Harper (Baylor School) dec. Montana Doty (Christian Brothers), 3-0
Final: Owen Trephan (Blair Academy) dec. Jake Kaminski (Wyoming Seminary), 3-1
3. Garrett p. Kappes (Mcdonogh School) dec. Kyonte Hamilton (Georgetown Prep), 3-0
5. Harrison Fernelius (St. John’s TX) default over Chaz Keen (St. Johns College HS),
7. Caleb Tomlin (Bullis School) pin Parker Warner (Mount Saint Joseph), 4:22
Final: Isaac Righter Derwood, MD (Mount Saint Joseph) MD Rick Weaver (Covenant School), 16-6
3. Mike Leyland (Wyoming Seminary) dec. Liam Dietrich (Trinity Pawling), 5-0
5. Michael Tyle (Peddie School) pin Cody Williams (Mcdonogh School), 4:58
7. Roman Lewis (St. John’s TX) dec. Bill Clark (Woodberry Forest), 3-1