Six outstanding individuals from the state’s wrestling community have been selected for induction into the Connecticut chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
The Connecticut chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame will hold an induction dinner on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at the MGM Hotel at Foxwoods to honor these men for their contribution to the sport of wrestling and our communities. The six men are:
- Colonel Charles Anderson, a Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient who has served in the Connecticut Army National Guard for more than 30 years, and as the head wrestling coach at both Trumbull High and Norwalk High
- John Bennett, a coach, official and four-time member of the U.S. Veterans World team
- Patrick Burns, former New Milford High coach, an official and CIAC wrestling committee member
- Carmen DelVecchio, one of the top officials in New England and in the nation
- Jason Shaughnessy, the high school coach at Fairfield Warde and Fairfield High and founder and coach with the Police Athletic League (PAL) youth wrestling program in Fairfield
- Dennis Siegmann, the former head coach at Bristol Central High for 22 years and an assistant coach at two junior colleges that won four national championships in six years
Bennett, Burns, DelVecchio, Shaughnessy and Siegmann will receive a Lifetime Achievement award for coaches, officials, or contributors with at least 20 years of service. Anderson is being recognized as an Outstanding American, a former wrestler who is highly successful in his/her profession.
All six men will be permanently recognized in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame (Stillwater, Oklahoma) with an embossed name plaque, and each receives a plaque and jacket to commemorate the very special occasion. These six will join 38 other inductees in the Connecticut chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
Tickets for the banquet will be available online after October 1.
Learn more about the Connecticut chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, the 2019 inductees and the 2019 induction dinner by going to the website at ctwrestling7.homestead.com/halloffame.html